Here is a very fun project to do on your own or with some kiddos around Christmas time! I made this tree while watching some football and it took about 30 minutes, maybe less. All you need is:
* A styrofoam cone (I found a green one which makes any gaps less apparent).
* Several sheets of scrapbook paper
* Straight pins
* Ribbon or some type of chipboard star (just some thing to place atop the tree).
1. Select several sheets of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper in coordinating colors. Cut the paper one inch wide and three inches long. Each 12 x 12 paper will yield 48 pieces.
2. Fold the paper strip so the ends meet but do not crease the paper.
3. Poke a straight pin through the center of the paper (I used a thimble on my thumb so that the pin was easier to push through the thick scrapbook paper). It helps to put the pin at a downward angle through the paper. Beginning at the bottom of the cone, push the pins into the styrofoam cone. Start high enough so that the cone is sitting flat and the paper is not raising the cone off the table. Overlap the second row to cover any gaps and continue working in rounds until the tree is covered to the top of the cone.
4. Make a bow out of ribbon or some type of tree topper and use another push pin or hot glue to secure it to the top of your beautiful paper tree! :)