Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Slow Cooking Madness...


Well, as usual, I am behind in the blogging.... but despite moving and beginning school, I have been making fabulous fall meals with all credit being owed to my crockpot! I think that my crockpot is one of my new best friends because you really can't burn anything in a crockpot and just about everything comes out delicious! There really isn't much to it; simply dump your desired ingredients into the pot, turn the pot on low and go to sleep or to work, or in my case, to school.... and come home to delicious home cooked aromas wafting through your door and a fabulous meal, hot and ready to eat! 


Here are a few pictures of my recent favorites (they tasted and looked much better than the pictures may convey):

Home-style Chicken Noodle Soup


This soup turned out delicious! Perfect for the week I was a bit sick.

To make this yourself, simply toss into the pot:

3 chicken breasts 
3 chopped carrots
1 bunch of celery- sliced
1 chopped onion
3 cubes of "pollo" bouillon (if you purchase these in the "ethnic" isle at the market they are cheaper and taste better).
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
pinch of parsley
dash of pepper
dash of soy sauce
1-2 cups of egg white noodles (these are healthier, stay more firm in the soup and are a good source of protein).

Once the soup has cooked for about 5 hours and the chicken has cooked through, fish out the chicken and shred it apart with a fork, then stick it back into the pot and dish up! Mmm, mmm good! :)


Tortilla Soup


This is one of my favorite dishes, and my girl friends and dad beg me to make it. I can't give away my secret recipe or it wouldn't be special anymore, but I will give you the basics :)

Toss into the pot:

3 chicken breasts
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 frozen bag of sweet, yellow corn
1 8oz can of diced chile relleno peppers
1 chopped onion
3 cubes pollo bouillon cubes
dash of pepper
pinch of basil
* add your own spices
and let it cook.
Once cooked, fish out the chicken, shred it with a fork and add it back to the soup.

When you serve the soup, crumble some tortilla chips over the top, sprinkle on some cheese and cilantro, and top with some sliced avocado... Enjoy! 


Fall Harvest Pot Roast


If you have a garden, this soup is all the better.

Add into the pot:

1 chopped onion
1/2 a bag of baby carrots
2 lbs baby red potatoes - quartered
1 bunch celery- sliced and diced
3 lbs (pre-diced) beef or a roast
(took me forever to pick out the meat because I NEVER buy beef.... but pre-cubed is awesome so you don't have to deal with the meat much).
1 packet of pot roast seasoning or 3 cubes of beef bouillon
and 5 hours later... voula!

Hope you all enjoy the season (and your crockpots) as much as I am!




No comments:

Post a Comment