Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Art of Cooking


I have always enjoyed cooking because I find it relaxing, but I have found that while I have mastered a handful of recipes, with my busy work, school and social schedule, I have neglected to expand my menu much since college.

One of my favorite things about cooking meals at home is that I know what is being put into them. There is no added butter or hidden calories. Plus, I can be sure that the ingredients are fresh and organic (where possible). I decided that I am going to start blogging some of my new attempts at getting creative with food.

This week I made homemade tostada salads. I have been on the hunt for tostada shell baking tins since college when my roommate's mom bought some for her for Christmas. Well, it was my lucky week because I found some at Ross for $3! They are so easy to use. (Technically these are semi-homemade because clearly I did not grow corn and hand roll these tortillas for the tostadas)!

All you do is preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Get some medium sized tortillas (I used organic multigrain tortillas). Press them into the tostada baking tin and bake for 10 minutes. Then, remove the baked shells from the tins and let them cool for about 5 minutes and fill them with whatever salad ingredients you would like, and enjoy!

In our tostada we layered fat-free refried beans, long grain wild-rice, shredded seasoned chicken breast, lots of lettuce, homemade guacamole (I have a great recipe that I may share later), corn, salsa, fat free sour cream and skim cheese. 

Tostada Salad


These were delicious and the leftovers were great too :)





No comments:

Post a Comment